This post will be giving more information about this English assistant assistantship - whoa confusing. Anyway,it will detail the who, the what, the where and the how- so brace yourselves, it could be a bumpy ride.... !!!!
We'll start at the very beginning when my cousin (aka worldtraveler) Ben suggested that I apply for this program where they send English speakers to public schools in France to help teach English. The application process included filling out the typical application and then providing with it a 500 word essay (in French) detailing why you want to be an assistant. That had to be the easiest question I have ever had to answer - so I was psyched that they didn't ask something difficult like "Why do you like English" or something wacky like that. In my essay I listed all the reasons: 1) I am obcessed with everything French, 2) I love France and their culture, 3) the way they live their lives (slowly and deliberately) just astounds me, 4) I like kids and I have ample experience with them and 5) It is my dream/my passion/my everything to live in France! After I got that squared away I had to then translate my essay to French. Now, if it hadn't been for my cousin Ben (wow, two mentions in one post Ben... haha.) I would have absolutely and epically failed at the essay. Anyway, after about 3 hours of grueling translating we finished!
After submitting the application in the middle of January the countdown to April started. To my surprise, those months flew past until the end of March was upon us, then the weeks started moving like molasses......
FINALLY, on April 6th I recieved in email from Carolyn Collins from the Embassy in Washington D.C. announcing that I had been selected as an English assistant for the Academie de Lille (very northern France). And that I would be looking forward to recieving my placements in the next couple of weeks. Lo and behold they finally came along with my Arrete de Nomination (work contract; which I needed to get my long-stay visa). I have been placed in two colleges (middle schools) in Fourmies, France (about 3 hours out of Paris and right on the Belgian boarder). Also, the town is about 13,000 people - not too shabby!
I have been in contact with this wonderful older couple - Annette and Bernard who live just outside Fourmies. Annette has actually worked at one of my schools as an English teacher and she's wonderful. She and Bernard found me a great little house for me about 4 minutes walk from one of my schools. They have been so helpful to me and I cannot wait to meet them (finally) in two weeks!
After a mound of paperwork and emails I scheduled my visa appointment at the French Consulate in Chicago. Thankfully, my grandma was able to accompany me to this appointment. We flew there early in the morning for the appointment and then did some sightseeing and then hopped on the plane that same night! It was a hectic day but it was great to get that over with.
Now that my visa is safely with me I am now free to go! I am scheduled to leave (with my grandma) on September 14th in the morning and then I'm coming back on December 18th for 9 days for Christmas then I will officially be back sometime at the end of April. Its going to be a wild and crazy adventure and I'm getting excited!!
Stay tuned for the adventures!
Wow - congrats on finding housing already. Fourmies sounds like a really cool city, good luck with everything in the next couple weeks!
ReplyDeleteWow, we are leaving on the same day!! Your location/city sounds awesome. Belgium is such a beautiful country and the food is excellent. Awesome sauce. I'm so excited for you, for me, for us! Yahoo!
ReplyDeleteYAY! I'm glad to hear that about Belgium...that's definitely on my list of places to see. That's too cool that we leave on the same day (one week from today!) whoooohoooo. It's finally here :)
ReplyDelete