Today marks the 26th day until I leave the U.S. for France. I looked at the calendar last night when I couldn't fall asleep and I realized that I have about 3 and 1/2 weeks left before the big day. Needless to say I was a little shocked... there is still a lot that needs to happen before I leave! Too many people to say goodbye to still, my job needs to end, my siblings need to start school, I need to buy train tickets from my grandma and I and I need to purchase a lot more stuff!! The to-do list is slowly getting shorter...
This past Sunday my aunt and uncle threw me a going away party with all of my relatives and it made my leaving more of a reality. Most of the guests at this party I will see at Christmas, but the other half I won't see until I don't know when, that being said, WOWZA that's crazy. But it was great to see everyone before I left and to have a toast in my name :)
I have mixed feelings about leaving in 3 and 1/2 short weeks. I'm abandoning everything I know here at home (family, friends, school etc) and I'm putting my faith and trust in God. From the beginning I have asked God only to give me this opportunity if it was the right thing for me to do and that I could survive it (haha..), when I recieved the answer "yes" I knew this was something I had to do.
This assistantship combines my three loves: France, French and children. My French skills are more than a bit lacking I find as I continue my French lessons at the Alliance Francais in downtown Minneapolis. It is disheartning and it makes me even more nervous but there is no where to go except forward!
For some of you, you know how much of a struggle these past few weeks have been. During these past weeks I have become stressed out to max... I've been dealing with paperwork, lists, planning my first few days in Paris, planning other excursions with friends, booking plane tickets etc etc. In the end it will all be worth it I keep telling myself! When I first signed up for this Assistantship, I didn't realize at that time how much work and stress it is moving your life to a different country but I thank God for the people who have helped me in more ways than one with getting things situated. One of these people has been this couple, Annette & Bernard, who live near my town (Fourmies). They have helped me find a house to rent only a 4 minute walk from my house and they have called French government offices to ask my questions. Having a place secured now it was such a relief off my shoulders and my parent's as well. I'm so excited to see it and to get accquainted with the town.
Let the countown continue - 25.....
Catch you on the flip side ~
Marie
Hey Marie!
ReplyDeleteI could definitely relate to this post! It's such an amazing opportunity we have--being assistants in France--and it is exciting... but it also is a little overwhelming and stressful trying to plan what one needs while away for one year! Lots of things to do!
Oh gosh, yes, it's great to know that so many of us are in the same boat! I can't wait though. When are you arriving in France and what region are you in? I think I read Nancy-Metz for you although I can't remember.. Bonne chance!!
ReplyDelete