Sunday, November 28, 2010

Aperitif, A Duck and Chocolate Cake

Last night Krista, Nele and I were invited over to a colleague of their's at school named Valerie for dinner. Valerie picked us up at 7:30p and we all squeezed into her super tiny car...Honestly, it's amazing how these French people function with such small cars! Anyway, she lives in the neighboring town so it was a short drive. When we arrived I met her husband, Jean Michel who was very nice. Before dinner the French always have an 'aperitif' (a drink) along with some salty snacks. They whipped out about 7 or 8 different bottles of alcohol for us to choose from, talk about overwhelming! We chatted for a bit and then it was time for dinner. For dinner we had duck in a curry sauce, sliced bread, chinese noodles and of course wine. It was the smallest French dinner I've had here, I was surprised. At other people's houses there was a soup course first, then the main course, then a cheese and bread plate and then dessert with coffee or tea. After dinner twe had a choice of two desserts: a mango/coconut tarte or a molten chocolate center bundt cake. The bundt cake was freshly baked and it was heavenly! I thought I died. So delicious. After that then they served coffee or tea. Then after that (haha) we played a game called 'Times Up' . It's a type of card game where you play on teams and you are given two different actors/actresses/song writers etc on a blue or yellow side. You pick which one you want to play with. Next there are three rounds: the first one you describe the person, second you can only use one word to describe it and then lastly you act it out. It's similar to charades but better ( I think!). :) It was a fantastic night! Their house was very small and they kept all of the doors closed to all of the rooms which makes it difficult to find the bathroom.....hehe.

Only 3 more weeks until I arrive back home! Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment