Thursday, November 11, 2010

Trains, trams and doctors

Yesterday morning I had my doctors appointment in Lille. I had to go to this appointment in order to 'validate' my long stay visa. I took the train from Fourmies to Lille yesterday morning and then I took a tram into one of the suburbs of Lille to the OFII office. I arrived early at the office and I discovered that they were closed! Luckily I remembered that they are closed until 1:30p for lunch - whew. I saw a couple of other assistants that I had met at orientation so that was nice. Also, there were about 25 other assistants there doing the same thing! I was really nervous for this appointment because of the horror stories that I heard...everything from naked chest exams to the doctor poking you speaking in rapid French. Thankfully it was so much better than that. First they took a chest exam that wasn't topless (whew!) then I saw another doctor who took my height and weight and I did a mini eye exam. After that doctor I went to the last one who evaluated my x-ray (no TB for me! haha). Finally after that I got my 'stamp' which is actually a sticker saying that I'm good to stay in France. I'm so glad that's over with! All of the people there were really nice and they spoke some English which was great obviously. Hehe. As an added bonus, I got to keep my x-ray! What am I going to do with it you ask? Answer: no idea. Haha Its a good souvienr though!

1 comment: